Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Universal Bridal Studio Review



13 July 2014-

I did a graduation photo shoot at Universal Bridal Studio. I didn't want to initially because firstly it's a waste of money, secondly my graduation doesn't feel so special to me and lastly, there's really a lack of walls to hang the photo up. The only potential wall in my house is occupied by a puzzle piece in a frame. Furthermore, it's quite dark at that area so the photo frame won't look so nice there. However, dad thinks that this is my grandma's wish so I obliged. Just about that time, UBS was having a roadshow at Junction 8. We signed a package at $1088. The package includes an album of 16 photos, a large framed photo, two table top 8R photos and soft copies. We would be provided with 5 sets of formal evening wear and makeup would be done for the females. My grandparents could also join in but their outfits will not be provided. Sounds pretty good a deal, so we got it before I officially got my last semester's results.

After I was confirmed a graduate, I booked a date with them. Met up with the grands before we head down to Kovan Mrt together. From the Mrt, you can walk a short distance to the place. It's quite a small place and the photo shoot was held upstairs. We have been there before the actual day to choose our gowns but actually their choices are quite limited. The studio is really smaller than I expected and there's a corner for the makeup artist to style our image. Now here's the irritating part. 8 of us were up there and 7 of us were just waiting around as only 1 makeup artist was present. My mummy did her makeup and hair first while everyone just stared into the air -.-. There were 3 women waiting for their makeup and hairdo and it was the most boring wait ever. It's very unprofessional of them to only have 1 person there to do both the makeup and the hairstyle. The least they could do is to have one person do the make up and one person do the hair. If there's a lack of manpower at 12pm (the time they open their shop), they should schedule a later time. The mood went down just by waiting. Furthermore, I think I could do better with my makeup coverage but the makeup artist said it would be ugly if I'm too covered up. (FIY, ampoules and fake eyelashes cost $20 each)









It was also very disorganized because the photographer did not guide us enough on what we should be wearing in each shoot. He just said it's up to us -.-. He could have suggested what we should wear first because we had no clue which outfit is for what shot. I myself had three outfits, and I didn't get to wear one of them. I wore my graduation gown first and started the solo shots.


Attempting to take resume photo lol!


The whole photo shoot became very sian because the photographer and his assistant kept asking everyone to smile with our teeth shown. While they try to be very enthusiastic throughout the whole photo shoot, they just can't make it and we were pissed off. Why can't you just let us smile without showing our teeth? My sister, for example, looks funny showing her teeth haha. In the middle of the shoot, another girl came in to kaypoh and help, but really, she pisses me off too. She just looks like she has an attitude and where were you when we needed more help? She also stopped us from taking any photos in the studio because there is a CCTV. Like I don't care, we have been taking shots non stop and when you arrive you say we can't do that. Nobody had tried to stop us before she came.

During the shots with my paternal grandma, the photographer asked me to kiss and hug her. I was really awkward and he said "你太久没有抱了 ". But honestly, I have never hugged or kissed my grandma, I think he should play safe and not suggest such stuff. Linking to my previous post, I have stated that I am not close to my grandparents. The whole experience was just so unpleasant. They are so unprofessional. Their poses are traditional and not creative. It wasn't even half as enjoyable and fun as my last individual studio shoot. The makeup skill is just mediocre too.

We had fun taking photos ourselves! FIY, my mummy's pom pom hair shown below is done in a salon beside because she doesn't like the hairstyle made for her by their staff. 







10 August 2014-

This is the day we can go down for the viewing of the photographs. Only my parents and I went down to choose the photos. I had to see what kind of photos came out. Upon arrival, three of us sat in front a computer and filter out the photos since we only can choose 17 them. And it was only then that I know I would only have 17 soft copies of the selected photos. Very upsetting because they didn't state it clearly. I searched online to realize that this is the standard way of business so I guess I can't blame them. For the rest of the photos in soft copies, I would need to pay $25 per piece if I want them. ($25 is for raw, $40 is for edited)

The staff suggested a lump sum price for all the photos in soft copies and that would be at a price of $888. I was rather moody and said “其实我都不喜欢这些照片,只是觉得没有很可惜”. She just kept quiet. There's nothing she can say la since I am out-rightly criticizing the photos produced. We were looking at the raw pieces actually so that might be a reason why we thought they were ugly. But even after edition, I don't think it would look very good either because many of the photos were not perfect. For example, some would be smiling while some would have a weird expression kind. This is a result of us being BU SHUANG during the whole process. I had some individual shots in my white gown because I wanted to look like a bride. Unfortunately, I think I look so ugly that I didn't choose any one of them (I have only 17, damn). I wanted a sexy feel but no, I was made to smile showing my teeth right so how to be sexy...My self taken shot got more feel than the one they take sia.




After we have chosen our final 17, we chose which photos to be in the big frame (really we had a limited choice of nice photos to be blown up). The two table top frames would be given to my grandparents. Other than the photos, we get to choose the book cover and frame types. When everything was done, we could go. When asked about the date we can collect the photos, the staff replied nonchalantly that they will call us once ready. She didn't even give us an estimated date and sounded like she couldn't be bothered since we hate their photos haha.

21 September 2014-

They finally called. My parents went down to collect yesterday. The photos look better, though the big frame is smaller than I expected. I realized they didn't asked us which 16 photos we wanted to have in the album. They just omitted one by themselves and that happens to be the one I am going to give my grandparents. So we won't have a printed copy at home, unless we print it ourselves of course.

 
 

I don't like this background. Because it is quite dark, the mortar board is not outstanding enough. Besides, I didn't touch a lot of books during university, I touched a lot of papers haha.

  

Sister says that I look like I broke my neck in this photo? Really anot.


I feel very lawyerly here! Does curls make my face rounder?


My sister's smile is so forced already. At this point, it got really tiring to continue the shoot.


I didn't choose the kiss shot because my mouth didn't actually touch my grandma lol. But here's the hug shot. I had trouble trying to hug, and my mother said "don't anyhow molest ah ma".





I purposely choose this photo because of my sister's open mouth smile. She seldom smile this way so this photo is rare. She would say she looks ugly but it's okay la, just not used to it maybe.



I only have 2 immediate family 全家福.


My arm looks so slim and straight hahaha. So photoshopped.


Sacrificed my shot to choose his haha. As my sister said, this is gonna be his new FB display picture wahahah.


I don't remember if I ever kissed my mother. I don't think I ever did as I grew older so this is precious. However, you can see the double eye lid sticker on my eye -.-. And it's weird that my mum's hand is somehow at my boob LOL. Also, my mother's eye brow is so faint! The makeup artist told her that it is not required to draw so thick and this is the result. Luckily, my sister had hers self drawn so it is more obvious in the shots.
 
P.S. My face all look the same. Toothpaste salesperson face :D

THE OVERALL VERDICT.
If you are going for any other types of photo shoots other than a bridal shoot, you shouldn't choose this. They are called Universal Bridal Studio so I think they might do better in that area. I searched online and found out that they are more towards the lower end budget kind of company. While they do provide all the basics, they might not give you any surprising elements or outstanding production.

When my parents went to collect the photos, they encountered a couple who were choosing their photos for printing. They did a bridal photo shoot. As they sat there by themselves, the bride kept exclaiming how she looks ugly in every photo. That was exactly how I felt when I saw the captured photos. I didn't think the photographer is exemplary when I saw his product. A person may be ugly to start with but it is the makeup artist's job to make her look prettier and the photographer's task to take down fantastic angles of her. So, it is not only me who thinks that the photos turn out ugly, others think that too.

Because of this experience, I have set my mind to look for a professional bridal photo shoot brand next time when I need this service. Even if UBS charges a lower price compared to others, I think it's not worth saving that amount of money to get something you may not like. Besides, people usually buy a package that includes the actual day shoot. It is better to hire a company with better reputation to ensure the wedding goes smoothly. Your wedding only happens once, make the right choice!



4 comments:

Magmag said...

So pretty! should curl your hair! :D

Vanessa Chia said...

Curl already require too much work to maintain its form! haha.

Sushy said...

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE studio.
never book a package with them even if they lure you with cheap deals.
its not worth it.
we signed a package when they had a roadshow at bugis junction

1688 one but we added a night shoot then they suggested that we do photoshoot indoor 1day outdoor 1 day
we agreeed.
the lady promised that we will get refund of deposit if i don't like their gowns.

i liked some gowns but i wanted some alterations.
after alteration final fitting day the gowns were horribly done loose and fitting not well. I cancelled one gown last min cus it was horribly wrong. they praise u like it was so so awesome gown and we look amazing
my financee's pant for the suit was horrilbly stiched, he cud barely sit down it was so tight.

then on the day of shoot there is no one to help u wear the gown
they promised to give 30 edited and rest soft copy. almost 200++ photos were clicked.
they said its against company policy to give 200 photos if we want we shud buy 10$ each photo.
wat the hell? they were simply so rude. so horrible experience. we fought with them took all the photos they say they wont edit and give printed album. but its fine cus album costs only 100$ ... seriously horrible staff. we spent 10hrs a whole day to get 30 phtos???? the photographer was the only one who was good and worth paying for.

Vanessa Chia said...

Hi Sushy. So glad someone thinks the same way as me. I think they just promise you everything but at the end of the day they are still a small company with too little manpower (that's why no one to help you with the gown). And I was also so angry when I spend so much time to know that I can't get all my photos. They say that most bridal shops only give softcopies for selected photos. But in the first place, they didnt tell me this upfront. At least you liked your photos I hope? I didnt really like mine. But anyway, they are attractive because their price is cheaper I guess. But I have learnt my lesson.