Saturday, November 15, 2014

K Cook Korean BBQ Buffet

I brought my family to K Cook Korean restaurant for a meal recently. I was thinking of introducing Korean bbq to my parents since they haven't tried it before. Online reviews showed many positive feedback about K Cook at Orchard Central.

We arrived at about 5 plus on a Saturday. It is still quite empty when we got there. Most of the tables are outdoors. We requested to sit inside but we were told that the table would be too small and squeezy for 5 people. Hence, we settled for the outdoor area since there's three tables together and ample amount of space for the raw food and dishes.






There's an assortment of raw meat- pork collar, marinated pork and chicken, spicy chicken, marinated ribeye, sausages, bacon, squid, prawn. The sides that I prefer to eat includes kimchi and marinated radish only. I find the kimchi too spicy for me though. They also provide cooked food such as korean pancake, ddeokbokki, charsiew meat, curry chicken, stir fried beef and etc. There's another corner for salad stuff- potato, cucumber, fruits kind. Drinks are also included in the buffet but we mainly drank plain water.








Happily we started eating. I taught my parents how to wrap the meat with the large pieces of lettuce (minus all the garlic n sauces) because that's Korean style! It's a good way to eat like this also because the vegetable refreshes the whole taste and makes it less jelat. Though I didn't feel like I ate a lot, the sight of meat after awhile is tiring (can't eat so much meat at a time). More amount of oil appeared as you grill more meat. It comes to a point when the oil starts splattering from the bacon and everyone starts walking away from the table (then I just took away the cooked bacon from the grill and it stopped haha).

I love those grilled prawns! It taste really good when it's bbq-ed just right. The bacon is quite oily but the saltish taste goes super well with the lettuce. I wrap a big piece of meat with lettuce and put the whole thing in my mouth. Immediately, I regret my actions as I have overestimated the size of my mouth. So hard to chew my food :P. The Korean pancake is also another dish that I like, though not piping hot.



Overall, I find the food here not bad. I am just not such a fan for Korean bbq. I don't know how people eat so much meat at one go, looking at that amount of oil. The whole experience is pretty good because the service is awesome! Our grill plate was replaced very quickly upon request. Despite us putting off the fire several times due to turning the knob too much, the staff very willingly helped us put it back. Empty plates were promptly cleared away. And here comes the two best parts of their service.

As we sat in the outdoor area, my sister wanted to tie up her hair. She didn't have a hair tie so she wanted to ask the staff whether they have a red rubber band, those that you use for tying food packets etc. Instead of the painful rubber band, they provided a real hair tie for my sister, which I presume may be the property of a female staff. When I return the hair tie during payment, the guy at the cashier told us to keep it. :D

The cashier is a Korean guy. Hence, I thought I would asked him about the song I just heard on the screen but have no idea what the title is (and have no time to shazam it because I am busy paying). I thought that since he is Korean, there is a higher chance he would know the song name. So I asked him "Do you know what song is playing now?". He said "Yes, it's fly to the sky". I asked him whether that is the title then he said it's the singer/band. When I asked again what the title is. He stood there and thought hard (can see from his face he is trying to recall). After awhile, he took out his phone to youtube for me! And at that time, a short queue was already starting to form but he continued looking at his screen until he got me the answer. "It's you you you", and he showed me his phone. Thumbs up!

No comments: