Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Paulinda Super Dough

After Daiso clay, I went to search for a better air dry clay. At Artfriend, I bought Paulinda Super Dough [$2.95, 40gm] and Jovi clay [$6.95, 1kg]. There is a bigger tub of super dough but I played safe and bought a smaller portion first. Super dough also comes in different colours but I prefer mixing acrylic paint into the white one. 




As super dough comes in this small container, I am not sure how air tight it is. Hence, I transferred everything into a ziplock bag. It is so soft and extremely sticky! Look at how it sticks to my fingers. Eventually I found a way to make it "unstick" my fingers. You have to use a part of the clay and keep tapping and dabbing on the fingers filled with it, and the clay would then become one whole.


I think super dough is great with acrylic colours, but the additional moisture makes it even more sticky! I can knead the clay till my thumb gets tired and achy. This pencil is abit ugly here. But because the clay is super soft, it does not take shapes that well. Due to this reason also, it changes shape very easily before it dries, therefore you need to take note of the pressure while holding the model. You can't use it with moulds or cutter too as it would stick to them. This clay is better for figurines you can knead with your bare hands. The parts stick together without any glue. It does not crack like Daiso soft clay since it is so moist. 


Super dough should dry totally in 2-3 days, to a lightweight finish. It is squishy but firm at the same time. I tried to test whether it would break by bending the pencil, but it does not! It should be quite durable in this sense even though it does not dry hard. It works well with my fimo gloss varnish too. 

I learnt how to make this unicorn on youtube. Since super dough produces great colours when mixed with acrylic paint, I used it for the colourful mane by twisting long strands of the clay. However, the strands all stuck together because it is too soft and sticky. The end result does not show the layering effect of the strands.



The good points:

Add water to increase moisture [you probably don't even need to],
Mixes well with acrylic paint,
Does not crack,
Does not break,
Parts stick together without glue, 
Takes varnish well,

The bad points:

Does not take moulds and cutter well,

Too soft and sticky,
  • Changes shape easily before dry, 
  • Knead for a longer time 
  • Fingers get tired

The verdict: I would not buy it again but I think this clay is still okay. I saw their youtube video, using their clay to make some models. It does not look so sticky and it even can be cut into pieces. My recommendation would be to let it dry for awhile before use.

No comments: