Monday, October 12, 2015

Jumping Clay

Jumping clay- $4.70 per 50gm found in Popular.

I consulted Kin on the clay to use and she recommended Jumping Clay. This clay feels similar to the soft clay I used that day, so it should be the same. Jumping clay really lives up to its name as it is really bouncy. Even if it is not rolled into a ball, it will still 'jump' upon landing on the ground. I don't like this feature though because when I accidentally drop small pieces of clay, it is so difficult to find it back! 


The packaging is great because you can reseal it back. However, it is best to keep it in another airtight container or ziploc bag to be double secure. Upon opening, you can smell the strong and nice jasmine scent. This is a very good difference from other clays which generally are not nice smelling. 


Jumping clay does not stick to your hand so much. It has a blue tack consistency and water can be added to increase moisture. There is no need for glue to stick the parts together. If there are cracks at any point, you cannot just blend it away, you need to re-knead it and apply some pressure while rolling the ball. 



I think that Jumping Clay does not take acrylic colours well. A lot of paint is required, but the colour still remains quite light. The paint should be blended in bit by bit, hence more kneading is required to get a darker colour. The result of the colour is also abit patchy dotty if you look closer, not evenly spread. Jumping clay is bad if you wish to get a darker shade. Super dough would fare better in this case.


Jumping clay is good for making irregular shapes, shaped with the bare hands. The shape also stays better because it is not so soft. After the clay dries, it is light and slightly squishy. When bent, it does not break. The dried clay (before gloss) seems to attract dust more than super dough. Surface feels less smooth and more sticky (in terms of texture of flat surface) when dried.




Fimo varnish works well with Jumping clay, providing a good shine. The finished product also feels harder after the varnish. However, when I tried to bend it, the dried varnish teared on the surface, leaving a wrinkly surface. 




Coloured Jumping Clay.

I thought that Jumping clay would get its colour by mixing the coloured ones with the white one. Hence, I bought a used gift set on carousell. It was all half dried when I received it so I added water. Never ever buy second hand clay unless totally sealed! 

The result is bright vibrant colours. But do note that jumping clay only comes in certain colours, so to get a special colour is a difficult task. Hence, I still prefer mixing acrylic paint to get colours. I think you can make more professional crafts than my cutesy examples below with better colours.



For the coloured clay, everything was good until I applied the fimo varnish. The varnish is not taken well by the coloured clay. Gosh it made me super disappointed. Somehow, the colour lightens upon contact as if the clay never dried because it mixed with the gloss. My octopus was wearing white shades before the gloss dries up and after it dries, my octopus looks like it is peeling from a sunburn. I don't think I would buy the coloured Jumping clay anymore.





The good points:
Add water to increase moisture,
Does not crack so much,
Does not break,
Parts stick together without glue,
Takes varnish well (white only),
Jasmine scented, 
Package is resealable,

The bad points:
Does not take acrylic colours well,
  • Knead for a longer time 
  • Fingers get tired 

Does not take varnish well (Coloured only)


The verdict: I may buy the white clay, but not the coloured ones. Ideal for models with lighter colours. I think this is more for figure making with no moulds. 

No comments: